"I don't know if it be a peculiarity in me, but I am seldom
otherwise than happy while watching in the chamber of death...
I see
a repose that neither earth nor hell can break
, and I feel
an assurance of the endless and shadowless hereafter--the
Eternity they have entered--where life is boundless in its
duration, and love in its sympathy, and joy in its fulness."
--Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights

24.2.08

I

"Shut it, Ben."

My partner and I were sprawled across the couch in our apartment, plastic guitars in hand. We'd been playing the same video game for nearly six hours.

Unfortunately, Benji had been an amazing guitar player in his former life. Too amazing. He was burying me.

"Wait, Kaye, who won? Who won that round? I want to hear you say it."

"I said shut it, Benjamin."

He smiled, smug and satisfied. I rolled my eyes and set my guitar on the coffee table. My gaze drifted over to the clock. "It's almost three, Ben. We're supposed to be at headquarters in less than two hours. I think it's time to call it a night."

He was already intently focused on the TV screen. "Just one more song, and I'll be done."

I rolled my eyes a second time and rose to leave the little den, calling over my shoulder as I went. "I'm going to bed, Ben. See you soon."

My bedroom door slammed behind me, the hinge just a bit too loose. I pretended not to notice it--no use complaining about a door that swung too well. In fact, the annoying details of this place only made it more appealing in my eyes; though predictably imperfect, it was home.

Not that I'd been living here that long. When training had ended three weeks ago, I'd been placed in a different building; it wasn't until we neophytes had been given our partner assignments that I'd been moved here, with Benji.

Ben was just as new as I was. They tried to keep the newbies together, according to the older crew. Less strain on the more skilled--and less patient--Guardians.

From the day we'd been partnered, we'd become one being, one entity. Other Guardians referred to us only as a pair. With very few exceptions, we were inseparable, even on our worst days. I wouldn't have called our relationship that of "best friends," or even that of siblings; it was something entirely different and inexplicable.

He was my other half.

My latest video game loss still weighing on my mind, I threw myself down on my bed and stared up at the ceiling. There was a window to my left, but it didn't face the outside world; no, I had not seen the outside for what felt like years. In all actuality, it had only been fifteen months, but still...

My eyes refused to close. I was exhausted, but there would be no sleep for me tonight. Probably none for Ben, either. The two of us were receiving the instructions for our first solo assignment in less than two hours.

From what I'd heard, it wasn't much of a procedure. We had to report to the Boss, file a few papers, hop in a car, and get on a plane. Nothing too tedious. Of course, the real work began once the plane landed; as soon as our new Subject came into our view, our whole lives would start to change.

The more experienced Guardians called it Revolving. It was something I'd only heard about and never understood, one of those impossibly possible eccentricities of the trade. Supposedly--and I was a bit skeptical about this--the very moment our Subject stepped into our line of sight, everything would appear to revolve around them. My life, and consequently Ben's, too, would cease to have meaning; all matters concerning the Subject were important and everything else was utterly not.

It was also alleged that in that moment, Ben and I would start to age. We would be taken either backward or forward to the approximate age of the Subject and our immortality would begin to spin wildly out of control, pushing us farther and farther down a mortal road until the Subject--to be blunt--kicked the bucket.

The aging was only an external factor, though. Internally, the two of us would forever stay where we were now, at seventeen and nineteen. We were also permitted to Shift--to revert back to our permanent ages--when there were no humans within sight. Just another part of the protocol for active Guardians. Or was that just a technicality?

I covered my eyes with my hands and moaned. There were so many rules I needed to remember, so many regulations that now evaded me. I'd studied the book for weeks before the training exam; why, of all times, would that knowledge start to fade now?

Well, maybe it would be fine. Maybe Ben and I would find that this sort of work--the ultimate test of Guardianship, the solo assignment--was just as natural as all the other tasks we'd faced in training. Maybe, just maybe, this would be easy.

Ha. I doubted it. Just as surely as I wouldn't sleep, I wasn't about to embark on a smooth, effortless journey.

One more hour.

1 comment:

Abby said...

"Fifteen months" should actually be something like "nineteen months." (paragraph starting with "My latest...")

Oops. :]